Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Whistler Camp Over, Biking Begins

I'm just returning from what was likely the most efficient ski camp I've ever been on. We had, what felt like, the top of the world all to ourselves. Peak chair at Whistler was opened to us for 6 days, with only 10 athletes there, we enjoyed more space and freedom to train than I've ever experience. Our mornings started with a 5am wake up. This was followed by a 35min drive up the mountain then training from 7am through 11am. (The picture below was taken from the top of the road that had been dug out....we couldn't believe how much snow is still up there!)

We had rollers built, start exercises, Super G & DH tracks, brush courses, and of course...big air....or at least a Downhiller's version of Big Air! I enjoyed jumping more than I ever have before. I hit my longest jump just short of 50 metres in flight distance! The best part was that I loved ever second of it. I've never jumped so well, nor have I ever enjoyed it so much. Life up there was great with an atmosphere of hard work, excitement, and enjoyment. It was something most athletes dream of.
I'm now home for a few days and I have begun preparing for the Team's Big Bike trip from Lake Louise to Whistler. I have to admit I've enjoyed riding these last few days, although I'm not sure if I'm prepared for the mountain passes that lay ahead! Still, we'll be there together as a team battling the hills....only this time we'll be going UPHILL?.... who ever thought that was a good idea must have been nuts:)
I'll keep you up to date as the Ski Team's Tour begins!
Kelly

No comments: