Saturday, May 26, 2007

May 25 & 26 - Jasper Hostel, Day Off, Short Ride, Soccer

Yesterday was a long ride of 150km's with one very big climb which ended in Jasper. Unfortunately I was still unable to ride and found it hard watching from the sidelines. However, I was impressed with the group and was very inspired. Most of the girls started the ride 45km into it, skipping the massive climb, but Emily Brydon, Brigitte Acton. and Christina Lustenburger did the climb with great success. Today (a day off for everyone in Jasper) I got out on my bike for just over an hour to test the lungs and get back on my bike. Jay Keddy came with me, which was great since he had some awesome pointers and was very supportive as I hacked up a lung. Still, I felt pretty good and did one pretty big climb without too much trouble. I'll be back riding with the group tomorrow for a relatively flat 120km ride.

Currently we are staying at the Jasper hostel. Yes, I said hostel. We are all in big rooms filled with lots of bunk beds. (Luckily the girls have a separate dorm though!) In many respects it's been pretty nice with everyone pitching in for meals, and overall living. Yesterday evening we had a small campfire with smoores (spl?) and all. Not everyone joined in, but I certainly loved being by the fire. Sadly, (or not so sadly) I may be leaving the communal living environment for tonight with Lusti. She also came down with this bug so we may leave to help stop the spreading of germs.

During our day off we played soccer with the locals racers. It was a great opportunity to meet them, spend some time hanging out and enjoy a great BBQ lunch! This picture is of Meg Ryley and one the young Jasper Ski stars guarding the net!

That's all for now!

Cheers,
K
















































No comments: