Monday, February 22, 2010

'Wedding Phenomenon'

When David and I were married in the spring it hit me that that may be the only moment in our lives where everyone we loved was in the same place. I’m now realizing, that the Olympics has that same ‘wedding phenomenon’. Everyone I know (and just about ever did know) from sport are in the area. From all over the world, sport has come together to throw the biggest party in our lives. It’s spectacular, emotional, and will leave us with lifelong memories.


National Anthem


I watched Jon Montgomery be awarded his Gold medal here in Whistler. It was a moment I’ll never forget – to hear everyone there belt out our National Anthem with such pride was spectacular. It was emotional on so many levels – I felt profoundly happy for him and for everyone who felt a piece of his victory, whether as a spectator or as a bandwagon fan. I was beginning to leave after he was awarded his medal when they went right into the awards for the women’s SG. I don’t know why, but it caught be off guard. I really thought I’d be up there with those girls, but life had a different plan for me. I cheered along with the whole crowd, while also shedding a few emotional tears.


PS – Someone voted Jon Montgomery in for the “Best Underdog” award. Vote him into the lead at: www.chewtowin.ca/spirit


Just A Few Thoughts…


How about this US domination – especially on the hills here in Whistler. They have already gotten more medals in Alpine than they ever have before. It makes me wonder if their comfort here has something to with feeling at home in our culture…yet not having the pressure of a home Olympics.


I’ve also been reading a few articles where reporters are saying Canada’s Alpine athletes chocked. I know how badly each and every Canadian athlete wants to stand on the podium but I know personally how badly our alpine athletes wanted it. To begin with, if you look at each individual, they needed their personal bests to stand on that podium, and for some, better than their personal bests (ex. Britt has never stood on the podium in Super G yet was expected to podium here). That’s a lot to ask of an athlete let alone expect it, then admonish them when they don’t reach those standards. I also think the projections for our Alpine Team were too steep. In a perfect world we could have done it – but with 5 Olympians no longer competing and all that pressure resting on fewer shoulders, the burden was too much to bear. Plus, this is ski racing. There is an ebb and flow to success as Bode and Mancuso have shown us.


Own the Podium’s support has been vital to Alpine Canada. Their support along with corporate sponsors is the only reason our team still has a shot at the podium after losing so many athletes to injury. Own the Podium became a reality in 2005 and fully functional a few years after that. In that short a period, Alpine athletes have flourished with this new found support. I hope this momentum and funding will continue since it is working – regardless of the results here in Whistler.


It’s sad to see an athlete fall short of what their potential holds. The Olympics are over in an instant and one hopes the years of hard work and dedication shine through in that instant. But it doesn’t always work out that way. To my fellow Wrigley’s Gum athlete – Denny Morrison – I feel for you and hope you will continue lacing up those skates because you do Canada proud. All our Athletes – on the podium or otherwise – do Canada proud.


On a happy note, David arrives back from Australia tomorrow!


Till Next Time,

Kelly






This picture says it all.










I’ve had the luxury of getting to spend lots of time with my family during their time here at the Games (my cousin Tara is behind the camera). This is us at the Medal Ceremony for Jon Montgomery.






The crowd went crazy for Jon!










Physio with Andree!

3 comments:

Steve said...

Great post, Kelly! I agree with you 100% on your assessment of your team's performance over the past 2-3 years and also sincerely hope that there will be continued strong financial support for Alpine Canada.

Steve

mel said...

Kelly, I just want to tell you that you are a superstar and my ski racing superhero. Your tenacity and drive are really something and you are the reason why I raise as much money as I can, through my running, for Can Fund. All my best to you through your recovery!!

Your huge huge fan, Melissa

Andi said...

Kelly I love the picture of your family. It was wonderful that you got to spend some time with them here. I picked your mom and dad out right away! I expect they have returned to Ontario but they will have many fond memories to take home. You were sensational doing the ski commentary. It looks like you are able to bend that leg a bit more and that is certainly encouraging. Keep up the good work superstar!

Andrea