Friday, February 12, 2010

Let The Games Begin!

How can I possibly describe the atmosphere here in Whistler? To say the least it is electric as everyone’s levels of excitement have now hit full tilt. The village is alive as the world watches the Opening ceremonies. You can’t get a spot in front of the Jumbo Trons, every restaurant with a TV is filled, every person is glued to the sets as they watch the Olympic Games begin. The performances were nothing short of spectacular as I’ve come to expect from these games – they aren’t letting anyone down. I was also impressed with how they honoured the passing of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili. Truly a sad note on this day otherwise joyous day. Still, I believe these ceremonies started the games with the true spirit of the Olympics.


Many people assumed I would be at the Opening Ceremonies, however, since I’m injured and no longer and athlete I couldn’t. Still, in some funny way I was at the Opening Ceremonies. Shona Rubens, from the ceremony, texted me to tell me that my image was a part of the montage that played on those white mountains. Funny to know that I was still there in a way. I have to admit, watching Team Canada be announced was nothing short of overwhelming. I’m so proud of the team Canada has fielded for these games – I can’t wait to watch them all perform!


Watching Gretzky light the torch I felt the same emotions I felt in Torino. It’s overwhelming, this is something special, so much bigger than any one of us as it unifies the world.


Yesterday, when I was on stage with Michael Landsberg as we rehearsed for today’s show I had to laugh. He was chewing ‘my’ excel gum and he didn’t even know it was me! He had the long package full of them too – so everyone on stage had quite the laugh. Over the next two weeks check out C.H.E.W’S ‘Canadian Athlete Spirit Awards’. You can vote athletes for different categories such as:

  1. Best Cheeks
  2. Best Winning Smile
  3. Promoter of Canada
  4. Craziest Canuck
  5. Best New Freestyle Trick
  6. Enjoy Life
  7. Best Use of Canadian Flag
  8. Photogenic
  9. Best Underdog
  10. Looks Best in Red

Go to http://bit.ly/caM2gw to start voting people in! (I’m guessing the Craziest Canuck will come from an Alpine Skier...we’re all a bit crazy!)


Tomorrow (if weather permits) is the Men’s Downhill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Go Boys Go!!!!!


Till Next Time,


Kelly







Primping...new world for me!













A CTV News Room set up in a hotel in the Village.









Entertainment is all around in the village! Including skiers flying through flaming rings.







Just after we aired in the Pre-Game show for the Opening Ceremonies.







Cool shot yesterday Evening.



No comments: