Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cowbells and Concerts - Day 4

Have I mentioned that I LOVE the Olympics!!!!!! I can’t get enough of the vibe and energy that’s everywhere here in Whistler. It’s a whirlwind that means there is no way to even know of every cool event that’s taking place…never mind attending them all. There are countless free concerts happening on the outdoor stages here and of course nonstop sporting action to keep you occupied. If that isn’t enough then you can check out the Alpine Canada House, the Swiss House, the Canada House, the Slovenian House, etc. etc. etc.

If one chooses to I’m sure you could go nonstop 24/7 and still miss much of the events that are taking place, and that’s just here in Whistler, Vancouver is on a whole other level again. Although I haven’t made it much outside of my 150metre radius which includes my hotel and the CTV stage, I did see my family for dinner last night and made it to the Canada House to meet Canada’s Governor General Michaelle Jean. It was an honour to meet her – an elegant, patient, and sweet lady.

I’m not sure if everyone caught the Men’s DH event yesterday but it was fun to watch with some big air and bumpy sections. But wow, what a race! I hear the Swiss House was on FIRE last night with celebrations. (Unfortunately, it being outside of my 150m radius I didn’t take part but I did hear lots about it…and the cowbells were heard throughout the Village).

I was checking out the Canadian Spirit Awards and who’s been nominated and voted for. It’s pretty funny some of the nominations and reasons why. I nominated Dixon for the Craziest Canuck category and Osborne-Paradise for the Enjoy Life award. Check it out and vote….we can’t have hockey players win all the awards! www.chewtowin.ca/spirit

I’m now settling into my role here and having a great time, learning lots. There are SO many ski racers around that it’s fun to catch up with some old friends and ex racers. Tonight I’ll be in Vancouver for the first official Party to celebrate Alexandre Bilodeau’s Gold. I’m looking forward to meeting him and getting to see firsthand what an Olympic Gold looks like.

Till next time,

Kelly





Thomas Grandi, John Kucera, Myself, and Max Gartner standing on set.






Emily Brydon, Shona Rubens, Georgia Simmerling and Myself at an event for Alpine Canada.





Alexandra Meissnitzer (the racer who beat me out for the Bronze in Torino) and I had dinner a few nights ago. We are both here working with TV throughout these Games.








The village is full of Canadian Pride!









Between sets I spend most of my time in my room doing my knee exercises while watching the Olympics.






Emily Brydon in the Village with her 3, yes I said 3, cell phones!!!! Atta girl Em! She’s looking great though and in such amazing spirits.







I had the honour of meeting Michaelle Jean, Canada’s Governor General, at a reception yesterday. It was nice to speak French with her and chat for about 10minutes.






This is where Johnny and I watched the Men’s Olympic Downhill. Not as glamorous or exciting as being on the hill, but still exciting to watch. Johnny and I were part of the coverage pre and post race.







Brian Stemmle, John Kucera, myself and Jennifer Hedger on Primetime last night.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kelly, seeing you on CTV this evening I have to say your your attitude is as beautiful as your smile. So sad to not see you in there.

On another note, I would like to share something with you that can aid dramatically in your muscle/knee recovery. NSF approved for sport of course. 705-794-7181

Greg said...

Great job on TSN Kelly. I can't believe that a girl who trained at Chicopee can possibly be a world class skier. I trained there with my high school racing team up to 1996 and we could only ever get in 3 (maybe 4) GS style turns on Sugar Bowl before the flat part. Transitioning from there to Blue Mountain (or the like) was crazy. As I'm sure moving from Blue to real mountains is.

Regardless, congrats on your skiing successes and if nothing else, you know you have a good fall-back career when you're ready to retire!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly I just saw your interview in French on RDS. Because I am a hockey fan and not a skier I never heard of you until this interview but your French is so good I was convinced you must be an-ex quebecer like myself. Your blog mentions Kitchener and Chilliwack. Where did you learn to speak French so fluently? You would put a lot of Quebecers to shame. That makes you a quintessential Canadian. A great example. A since your name happens to be Kelly..

"Kelly my darling, you are my sunshine;
When we're together I feel fine.
Your smile is so lovely; your hair is so clean;
You make me feel that the whole world is mine."

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly,
Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, K-E-L-L-Y ...
Why? Because you're

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly,
(pause) Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly,
Kelly of mine!

..lol..never saw Cheers?
Thanks.Yvon

DrBOP said...

Kelly, are you having too much fun there in Whistler because I tune in here on an HOURLY basis, and.....and......YOU ARE NOT HERE POSTING.....Kelly.....Kelly I am REALLY concerned for your well-being...has Team USA kidnapped you? Are they trying to clone your smile against your wishes.....WHERE ARE YOU KELLY???
A whole nation AWAITS!!!