Thursday, December 27, 2007

Merry Christmas!!!!

Well, that was certainly the best Christmas present I could have possibly given myself; my support crew; and all of those who cheer me on. I finally hit the podium on the World Cup Downhill circuit!!!! (Let me begin by apologizing for the number of exclamation points that will appear in this e-mail - I am admittedly excited!)

After a shaky pre-season, and challenging performances (save for a 6th in Aspen) I was feeling extremely low after St. Moritz. I wasn't myself and I was trying so hard to make it work. I wanted it badly and analyzed everything I did, I was my worst critic. I felt lost and tired knowing that the road I was on wasn't going to take me where I wanted to go and where I knew I was capable of being.


I knew things had to change and I had to figure out the root of this uneasiness. I knew I was still skiing well, in St Moritz I was actually training and freeskiing better than I had in a long time. So this meant there was a disconnect when I raced. It didn't take me long from there to figure out that my inner dialogue was completely negative while I raced (and during most of my training as well). I was never connected to the moment, to the doing. I thought if I tried hard enough, wanted it enough, I could force the results to come. I wanted to prove my inner critic wrong. Obviously this wasn't working. I had to kick the inner critic to the curb first, the results would come second.



I then spent a lot of time writing in my journal, I connected with my sport psychologist Roger Friesen, read from Terry Orlick's book, my coaches set up a meeting with me because they too felt the wall I was putting a wall up around me. Simply put, I got back to just skiing.

From there the results just kept flowing in. I was the most consistent racer in training with a 6th, 5th, and 6th. Luckily, I saved my best result for race day! My run wasn't perfect, but nobodies was. This course is the most technical downhill I've ever run, I was happy to show I could perform this well on a track that had no gliding sections. This course has been likened to the women's version of the Kitzbuhel. I must be a true crazy Canuck then, because I loved it!

Once in the finish area I put on my Santa hat since it was my last race before Christmas (and it's my favourite time of year). Once the awards finished, interviews, press conferences, peeing in a cup (yes, that was a big highlight of my day!), I then made my way the towns infamous Krazy Kangaroo Bar. Although I wasn't there long I did have a lot of fun! In the old tradition, I was behind the bar serving the drinks!

I'm now home in Chilliwack with David and will be spending Christmas with his family in Victoria. I had a quick stop over in Toronto on my way here and had a Christmas in the airport! My sister, brothers, parents, aunt and cousin were there. We ordered pizza and wings right into the terminal and had a great time catching up, smiling, and laughing. It was a wonderful time!

After Christmas, I have some skiing planned in Whistler and quiet time at home.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With More Smiles than I know what to do with,

Kelly

No comments: