Friday, October 22, 2010

Patience is a Virtue...

As I drove past Lake Louise, on my way to Calgary for a 10 day training camp, I was sad to know I wouldn't be racing there this year for the first time in 10years. I sat in the car with a swollen knee, and it was the first time I'd really accepted this truth. Until now, I had held onto the possibility that I could be ready in time for Louise.

While the physiotherapists and medical staff are extremely happy with my progress I’m a bit anxious as this recovery hasn’t lived up to my expectations (even if I was expecting to have super women powers…hey…I like to set the bar high!). Although I had hoped to be farther along in my recovery, everyone around me seems very optimistic. We’re all working hard to get me back on the World Cup podium, then, onto Sochi stronger than ever.

As you can imagine, the competitor in me is struggling to be patient with my recovery but I know it’ll pay off.


My strength and aerobic power are doing great and improving with every passing week. Two weeks ago I even requested a new program since I felt the one I was doing had gotten too easy. We added more advanced jumping and more volume to the program. I was sore but able to do it all which felt great. However, after a week of this program my knee said it was too much. It swelled, forcing me to take a few days off the knee before resuming my training. This isn’t a big hiccup, but it was a reminder that patience truly is a virtue!


As of now, we’re hoping to get me back on skis in early December. From there we will build towards getting into gates and finally racing. Our whole approach to this recovery is to have a full recovery, so we’re being sure we don’t skip any steps.


I am extremely lucky to have such experience staff around me like Kobelka (physio), Jordan (trainer), and a few doctors including Irving and Litchfield helping me on my road back to the World Cup. And on the ‘Brain/Emotional’ Side of this recovery I’m also working just as hard with equally as amazing people. (Plus a Hubby who is my biggest supporter through all of this:)


I truly am excited that it’s not long now before I’ll be back on snow.


Up next, a short visit to Ontario for some fun times with KVR and a few Gala/Media events!


Patiently Optimistic,

Kelly


Note:

I’ll be OTR (Off the Record, TSN) next week!

Likely on Tuesday’s show - I’ll Twitter/Facebook updates so you’ll know when to tune in!


Check out this Article:


http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/VanderBeek+finds+release+behind+lens/3682533/story.html




1 comment:

Rochefort et cie said...

I'm really sorry for you miss Vanderbeek. But we all know that you are a winner and that you will work hard to regain you super woman strenght for next season! Best of luck and keep you beautiful smile!