Sunday, January 31, 2010

Elephant Scientist

An Elephant Scientist. Yup, that was the ‘best’ answer I heard last week when 50 boys between the ages 4-6 were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up. The boys were attending a Beaver’s Sleep Over event with their parents. The process of finding out what these kids dreamt of becoming was wonderful and reminded me to keep my mind open to all of life’s possibilities.

I never know when inspiration will hit or what triggers it but there are certainly moments that guide our lives down paths we never expected. As I’m now committed to the path of rehab, I’m looking for what opportunities will arise, what will be the next thing to change the course of my life. Who knows, perhaps I’m destined to be an elephant scientist…although I plan to win a few more World Cup Medals before that happens!


Olympic Update:


Although I won’t be competing in the Olympics I will be participating from a different perspective. I will be working with CTV as their Alpine correspondent going over what happened that day and what to expect in upcoming events. I will be a part of the afternoon and evening shows that highlight and update the days’ activities. I’ll be working with Michael Landsberg during the day and Jennifer Hedger during the evening show. I’ll slot into the shows when it fits and likely have about 5 to 10min of air time twice a day. I’m very excited about this opportunity and look forward to learning. Although I’m nervous since this is out of my element (I prefer have two boards strapped to my legs going 130k/h) I do look forward to embracing this incredible opportunity.


Degree Watch:

Drum Roll Please….(this sounds so much better in my head)…….53 degree of flexion!!! Two weeks ago I was at 25 degrees so I’m extremely happy with the progress. I have a long way to go before I’ll reach my goal of heal to butt, but at least I’m making progress and this keeps me motivated through the long and often painful exercises.


Articles:

Below is an image of the article the Globe and Mail did updating their readers on my progress. I’m continually shocked to see the exposure I’ve been getting since my injury. Of my last 4 physio appointments I have had media in attendance for 3 of them: CBC, CTV and a local paper. Having this kind of interest and support has helped me realize how many Canadians care about me and follow my career. I can think of no better motivation as I make my way back to the hill.


This was a nice Q&A that was done prior to my injury. I thought you may like to check it out:

http://canski.org/kelly-vanderbeek-qaa



Thoughts:


As I’m now preparing for the games as; Team Canada’s #1 Fan; TV personality (I’m not sure I’m quite a personality yet but hey, I just may be crazy enough to fit the title); Corporate hostess; etc. I’m learning that I love more than ever what sport brings out in people, organizations, communities, and in a Nation. Chilliwack, my community, is preparing for the Torches arrival here on February 7th. I can feel the buzz and the excitement as the Games near.

Yes, the Games is a two week plethora of sporting excellence, but it’s also so much more. It has a quality about it that brings people together, connecting us in ways that few things can. Although I will not be competing at these Games, I am still honoured to be a part of this event that will indelibly mark Canada’s history and that will touch millions of people’s hearts in ways we can only imagine.


Till next time,


Kelly




I let my knee rest in a streched position using this wedge to help increase it’s range of motion.








The scars are healing well. In this image you can see the two largest of the six scares.









I haven’t taken many pictures (since I can’t move or get around much) but I am practicing and learning a lot about my equipment and photo software. David’s Dad, Gary, stayed with me for a week helping me get around and do my exercises. He also is an avid photographer so I learned a lot during his stay.















2 comments:

moonshadow said...

Congratulations on your new olympic role. I have every confidence you will do an excellent job and look forward to seeing you in your new role. Love your blog. You write well. Wilma Rubens

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about your injury but I'm glad to see you're going to have a part to play in the Olympics nevertheless.

Also, if you ever need/want some of your photos printed, I need "test" material when checking the quality of our software. I'd be glad to send you large proofs of your images (no charge obviously), just say the word.

your old neighbor,
Chris