Sunday, January 17, 2010

2.5 Weeks Post Op

There have been some rather ironic things that have happened since my knee injury. One such instance was when we had two items delivered to our home at the same time. One item was the Olympic tickets I’d purchased to my events and the other was my ice machine to help rehab my knee. It’s moments like these that give me pause. I’m on a new path and fully committed to my rehab, but my Olympic passion and spirit still burns strongly inside me. That part of me is still adjusting to my new reality and learning to let go of a dream I held so close to my heart for so long. This emotional wound will take a while to heal but I still love my life and feel like one of the luckiest people alive. (An odd contradiction in these unlucky times) But, this is how I know I’ll be just fine and I look forward to the new and different opportunities that I’ll have over the next 8 months of rehab.

Torch Update:

Teck, my title sponsor, has just told me that they have purchased my Torch on my behalf so that I may have this keepsake forever. I was so touched by their generosity and the symbolism that this gesture took. Truly an exceptional organization and one that I’m proud to represent.

Introducing….drum roll please….‘Degree Watch’:

What’s this? Well, degree watch is my new measuring tool of my knee’s progress. The number of degrees I reach is how far I’m able to bend my knee. To help explain, my leg totally straight considered zero degrees. My goal is to be able to bend my knee so my heel touches my butt – this goal is just shy of 180 degrees.

So, current Degree Watch progress sits at 25 degrees. A long way to go, but at least I’m now working at it.

For the next 3 to 4 weeks I’m only allowed to bend my knee while lying flat on my stomach. This is a position where my PCL is most protected. I’m doing this work 3 times a day with the help of a physio or David (I’m sure David didn’t read that part in the fine print when we got married). David and my family while I was in Ontario have all been amazing and vital help in all I do – I can’t thank them all enough.

New Hobbies:

As you can imagine, I have lots of time on my hands. (Although it’s not nearly as much as I expected since request have been pouring in as our country is in Olympic Fever…..my favourite kind of fever!) So, what’s keeping me busy? Well, I’ve been a long time photography buff at heart and I finally jumped in and bought myself a great SLR camera. I had some old lenses and equipment from when I jumped in as a teenager (but this was pre-digital so it’s mostly just been collecting dust). I’m now all set up and learning SO much. It’s been wonderful to get back to this passion of mine.

I’m also working towards improving my German. Although I have to admit…I’ve been procrastinating about working on this. I will though, in my sport having French, English and German would be amazing!

Till next time,

Kelly





ET Canada came to my Parents’ house in Kitchener to shoot a piece that will air in early February.








The knee is healing well from the surgery and is on track with expectations. Where I’ll struggle the most will be with flexion since I’m having to keep it straight for so long. In the picture beside you can see where the three incisions were made, there are also three arthroscopic incisions on the other side of the knee.

No comments: