Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Heading to Lake Louise

The season is about to begin! The world is showing up in Canada, looking for snow and rearing to go. (Yes, that rhymed…corny I knowJ) The men’s races in Lake Louise are under way and we’re cheering loudly as we await our turn. I’m currently in Panorama finishing off our final training block before the race season kicks off next week.

Since leaving home on November 5th we’ve been busy with fitness testing in Calgary, meetings, 5 days in Nakiska, 5 days in Lake Louise, and now Panorama. It’s been a lot of moving around as we tried to make the best of what little snow was available. Since arriving in Panorama though we’ve had some great SG and even DH training. The whole CPAST (our paralympic counterparts) team was also here training earlier this week. I was completely blown away by their abilities and willingly kicked myself in the butt – if they can ski that well I’d better get in gear!

As other world cup teams arrived in Panorama for training we got a chance to see a glimpse of how we stacked up against other countries. As a whole, we are all skiing stronger, faster, and there is a much smaller margin of error allowable if you want to be in the mix! Britt has been extremely fast, and consistently fast – usually leading the charge out of all the countries. Another girl who’s stepped up this last week was Larisa Yurkiw (a fellow Ontario racer). I was strong and right in there, but it usually took me a few runs to get in there. (Oddly my GS was my fastest out of the block!) I’ve made a move to a new model in the Lange boot – I’m excited about the change and I’m learning this boots’ limits as I go. This boot has a higher end performance and I’m extremely fast when I get it!

I’m extremely excited about racing next week, and putting on a show for Canada!

There’s a lot happening this coming week so keep you’re eyes and ears open!

Many Smiles,

Kelly

No comments: