Tuesday, February 05, 2008

St Moritz

Well, St. Moritz was an interesting weekend! I was struggling a bit during the DH training runs to get a full run together but I was pretty positive with the majority of my splits. The final training run was cancelled due to fog and high winds. This prompted the 'Speed Queens' to go for a little sleigh ride! Crowns and All! We had a lot of laughs as we got some funny looks from people around us.

The DH race turned out to be a tough day as conditions drastically changed moment to moment until finally it cleared up and a tail wind carried the final athletes to the finish line. The athletes around Britt and I all had our year's worst results and had trouble explaining why exactly. Then the tides turned and nearly anyone who finished after the top 30 ended up in the top 10. With bib 47, Tina Maze, won the race and bib 34, a young swiss girl, finished 3rd with a crash through the finish line. (The first 30 bib numbers go to the top 30 athletes based on world ranking, it is unusual to have someone outside the top 30 finish in the top 10) Unfortunately these girls bumped my teammate Emily Brydon off the podium. It was hard to see but we all know luck goes both ways in this sport.

Emily came back the next day with the best answer possible by winning the Super G! It was so exciting for everyone and we sang the National anthem with pride! I started 4th and came down into first where I sat for a while until I finished up in 9th position. It was an extremely close race and a picture perfect day. I made one large mistake near the top of the course on two turns that caught many people off guard and having an early start number simply meant I didn't know about it. My splits were, 29th, 4th, and 2nd. I skied well and I felt great. This was my best Super G result this season and my skiing filled me with renewed confidence.

This weekend I also cracked out a new Helmet that I designed with the Teck Cominco colours. It's always fun to have a new helmet! I've been told this helmet looks 'meaner' and 'faster' than some I've had in the past. We shall see!

On my way out of St. Moritz I stopped to visit my old coach Peter Bassins' Aunt who still lives in that valley. She looked amazing and through broken German and English we did our best to communicate. She is a sweetheart and it was great to see her.

The next day we drove the 5 1/2 hours to Pragelato (just outside of Sestriere) where we'll stay for our upcoming world cup. We are staying in an amazing Kempinski hotel that is set up like a small village of wood cabins. It's certainly the most beautiful place we've stayed at this season, and certainly the best we've ever had in Europe. Only Britt Janyk, Emily Brydon, and I will be competing in this world cup since the rest of Canada will be competing at our National Championships in Whistler.

Here in Sestriere we'll be racing on the Men's Olympic track so it will be new for nearly the whole field. From here we'll get a few days at home before heading to Whistler for the first World Cup on the Olympic Track!!!! We are all Extremely excited to be racing there!

Big Smiles and Cheers,

Kelly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats with your second place today!! You were really good and fast . Next time you'll beat Lindsey Vonn :-)