Sunday, February 10, 2008

2nd in Sestriere!




I finally got my podium in Sestriere! Although it was two years after the Olympics, and on the Men's track, it certainly was bitter sweet to see the Canadian flag finally raised during the awards ceremony. It had a certain sense of completion, I knew I'd hit the podium there eventually (and two times I came oh so close) but on Saturday I finally did it. I finished 2nd, behind Lindsay Von and notably fellow Speed Queen Britt Janyk finished in 7th. It felt great to stand on the podium again....I could get addicted to this! (I also think I like the mens' tracks....St. Anton, Sestriere...)

- This image is of Britt and I dancing in the finish area before the awards! Many, many laughs all around.

I came into this week with a sense of excitement and determination. So far this year both Emily and Britt have gotten their first World Cup victories, I've been told it's now my turn. And believe me, I want it more than anything. This week was filled with the kind of work that will get me to that top step, and I won't let up. In warm up and training I was skiing in a way that will get me the podiums I desire. I felt dominant, in control, and enjoying the feeling of racing.

Saturday was a very full day. After the race we had Super G freeskiing, I had a press conference, and finally I returned back to the hotel for some lunch at 3:30pm. I got to my room at 4pm and I had lots left to do; bike, conference call, meetings, awards, bib draw, interviews, video, etc. However, I think I did a good job sticking to the things that would help prepare me for the Super G the next day. Coming into the weekend I was most excited about the SG, I thought that was where I was going to shine. (So my podium in the DH felt like a great set up for Sunday!)

Going to bed that night I was full of excitement after the podium, nervous energy for the Super G, and total exhaustion. However, as tired as I was, I couldn't sleep. I was lying in bed awake till 1am and woke at 5am. Still, I knew this would only affect my performance in the Super G if I let it. So I focused on each step in front of me. Inspection was good, and warm up was great. Before I went there were several holds and I started feel doubts about sections of the course. Still, I started out well and was leading after the top technical, rolly section. However, I lost a lot of time from there to the finish. I felt 'ok' but looking back I realize I was just a bit to rigid because I lacked trust in myself and my abilities. I finished 18th.

Again and again I'm learning the lesson that I can win when I just ski and trust myself. Moving forward I will have to be diligent and tough with my mental approach, facing the fears that lead to my doubts. No excuses, just go, race hard, and see what happens.


After the SG we promptly hit the road since we had a 6 hour drive to Zurich. We are all very excited to get back to Canada, sleep in our own beds for a few nights, and more than anything, we can't wait to see the new Olympic track! I'm extremely excited to be going to Whistler feeling strong and ready to race.

Whistler here we come!

Big Smiles,

Kelly

No comments: