Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring, Inspiring K1's, Knees

Spring has sprung here in BC. Although we had bouts of spring throughout…well, let’s face it, all winter….it seems as though springtime has truly arrived. With the temperatures reaching 18 degrees and the sun packing some heat, the snow peaked mountains are going to be green shortly. I’m still enjoying my time at home as we begin planning the summer/fall. It seems as though life is getting back to normal as I’m becoming more able bodied.

Inspiring K1’s

I spent the last weekend in Trail and Rossland, British Columbia. I was there representing Teck and getting to meet and work with over 200 K1’s (meaning 11 and 12 year old ski racers). It was the BC Championships and the event was great. I spoke at the banquet and handed out medals…in awe at how good these kids were. I saw something in every kid’s skiing that they could build on. I know how long the road it is to the World Cup, but it’s all a matter of putting together their own jigsaw puzzle. And these kids are starting to collect the pieces.

Since my injury I’ve watched a lot of ski racing. Before the Olympics, during the Olympics, and post Olympics with the exciting finish at the World Cup Finals. Watching skiing through a TV is only so exciting though. It was seeing these kids race over the weekend, on a sunny, warm, hard snow, day that really lit the fire inside me. Wow, did I ever want to be out on the hill with those kids. Ripping around, hitting the gates, and feeling the thrill of arching a turn with power.

Trail’s Teck Operations also presenting me with an honorary, solid silver, medal. It was extremely heart warming to know they thought of me enough to make this. I was extremely flattered to receive such a unique and distinct medal – truly one of a kind.










Knee Update

As for my knee, there have been a few progressions since my last blog. I met with Dr. McCormack, the top orthopaedic surgeon here in Vancouver, yesterday. My knee’s progression has hit a bit of a plateau in regards to how far I can bend it (flexion). I’m also noticing limits with my extension. These facts, combined with the timing of being 3 months out from my surgery, means they’re going to intervene. It’s now in the works to plan a manipulation under anaesthetic and likely a scope as well. I’m confident that this will be the turning point in my recovery.

Although I worked extremely hard to avoid such intervention, this is where I’m at. Still, my knee looks solid and on the road to a full recovery.

Till next time,

Kelly

No comments: