Monday, December 28, 2009

Still Smiling

I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful Christmas and Holiday season. I spent a relaxing Christmas at our home in Chilliwack with David’s family. It was wonderful to be surrounded by loved ones and to read all the well wishers coming in through e-mail, facebook, website guest book, media, etc. Thank you to everyone for their support – it will be needed to help me through this road to recovery.

Torch Bearer

First, the exciting news. John Furlong called me on Monday, December 21st to offer me the last available spot along to Torch Relay. Obviously, I accepted enthusiastically. Therefore, on February 9th, somewhere in New Westminster Vancouver I’ll be carrying the torch 300metres on its journey towards the opening ceremonies.

Knee Update

Again, let’s start with the good news. The pain and swelling in my knee has reduced dramatically which has been good to see (and a colourful process with the bruising!). Now, the bad news, the MRI results are in and after I spoke with my soon to be surgeon Dr. Litchfield the dirty truth came out. I have completely severed the ACL, MCL, and PCL. The LCL is also in bad condition and may need to be replaced but they won’t know for sure until they get inside my knee. The Tibia Plateau is fractured and my meniscuses need work. My IT Band has also come off at the insertion point just below my knee. What this means is that I must have dislocated my knee during my crash in Val D’Isere and there isn’t a whole lot more damage I could have done. The good news, they are great and putting knees back together!

My surgery will likely take around 5 hours and will happen in London, Ontario. I’ll be staying in the hospital for 1 to 2 nights then sticking around the area for about a week. The date for the surgery isn’t set yet but it I’ll know more soon.

Ok, that’s it for the bad news and here is the best news of all; the knee will only get better from here.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!!!!!!!!! May it be filled with Smiles and Good Health.

Still Smiling,

Kelly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courage Kelly and good luck for the torch!!!
Marie

ryanjohnhoward said...

Dear Kelly,

My name is Ryan, I’m a patroller at Whistler Blackcomb, and I just wanted to let you know that I literally feel your pain. On December 8, I crashed while at work on Whistler Mountain sustaining almost the exact same injury as you would not too long after. My left Tibial plateau is fractured, ACL completely torn, the MCL ripped clear off the femur (taking bone with it) and my meniscus, particularly the lateral side, needs work. My knee has been completely immobilized for three weeks now and will remain so until my surgeon gives me the ok to start physio as we approach surgery. Friends and colleagues have been supportive, but it’s tough to be sure. I had planned to be on hill during the Olympics doing my ski patrol thing, but I guess my Olympic dream is over too. I should mention that I was raised as a ski racer out east, but fell in love with powder skiing a long time ago, so I guess you could say that I know what the dream is all about. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I’ll be right there with you over the next six to eight months going through the same aches and pains. You have all my best, good luck, and lets get better!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Ryan (from the Whistler Patrol)
ryanjohnhoward@gmail.com