Friday, January 09, 2009

Breaking in 2009

Today I wrote 2009 for the first time and it certainly made it feel official; a new year has begun. I’ve always embraced, in fact loved, birthdays and moment’s like these that mark the passage of time. It reminds me how much there is yet to come, how many dreams I have yet to achieve, how many unknown adventures still await, and that my journey is a work in progress which keeps me on my toes.

I was thinking about whether I should write a list of New Year’s resolutions. What would it look like? Oddly, I’ve always felt that New Year’s resolutions were made to be broken. (Case and point with how busy the gym gets around this time of year…somehow it doesn’t lastJ). It’s because of this sentiment that I’ve never been someone to make resolutions. I do however regularly revisit my dreams, my goals, and re-affirm the kind of person I want to be at these times of year. I suppose it’s through sport that I’ve learned to see where I want to be then start taking steps to get me there. That old saying, ‘One step at a time’ is my reminder to not only remain in the moment, but to enjoy and appreciate those steps along the way. It’s a good reminder for myself because it’s those steps that make up our lives, not the destination.

Ok, enough philosophical stuff. As for the everlasting (and ever exciting) game of ‘Where’s Kelly’ my family plays, I am now heading to Europe for some training before we kick off more racing in Altenmarkt, Austria. The season started slowly, with only three speed races getting off before Christmas. However, once January 16th hits it will be nonstop racing for the rest of the season. Before the Holiday break I was feeling strong on my skis and more consistent with my racing. This makes me both excited and nervous to get back on my skis…a good combination. I certainly soaked up the time off the hill though to rest both physically and mentally. This fall was packed as I made up for lost time in the summer training. I’m now excited to be heading back to find my feet back on my trusty Volkl’s; getting bruised all over my arms again hitting those gates; and to feel the wind in my face!

Till next time,


Kelly






No comments: