Friday, August 15, 2008

Little Hiccup

Sadly, my training camp in New Zealand was cut short due to a crash in GS training. Although the tumble wasn’t a severe fall, it was awkward and twisty. My right knee was forced into hyper extension while it twisted. From my experience last year in Chile with a very similar fall, I was quite sure I hadn’t torn any ligaments but had once again suffered a bone bruise to my tibia plateau. It didn’t feel too bad though, so we waited a few days to see if it would settle down.
Unfortunately, the swelling actually increased in that time frame so the team’s doctors and physios made the call. I was sent home to recover because the likelihood me skiing by the end of the camp in New Zealand was slim. I was on crutches once again with instructions to have no weight on the injured leg. The most difficult part of this injury was the timing, this injury meant I wasn’t skiing and I wasn’t with David in Beijing. It was a double hit on to the emotions.

A week after my crash I was in for an MRI at a private clinic in Abbotsford, BC. The results came back as expected, a bone bruise to the tibia plateau. It is less severe than the bone bruise I suffered in Chile last year which is good news. Therefore, I’ll be back ready for our next camp in Chile which begins at the end of August.

I am now off crutches and back doing as much training as possible working around the injury. I expect to be back with full weight bearing lifting & twisting by the end of next week.

Hey, it wouldn’t be skiing without a little injury here and there to keep you on your toes! They didn’t call them the Crazy Canucks for nothing!

I hope the West is enjoying this amazing hot summer weather and that the East is surviving the rain!

No comments: