Friday, June 27, 2008

Why I joined Team Darfur

Growing up in Kitchener, Ontario I was blessed with an amazing family, stability, and support. It was through this amazing support network that I was introduced to a different world, a rough world that kids face everyday. When I was in Grade 7, my teacher Mr. Covey who is also an activist, showed a bunch of 13year old kids that their voices had power. We learned about child labour, mostly focused in the Philippines. In that class, we formed a coalition against Child Labour, one of my classmates made it all the way to Parliament to speak on behalf of this group. Our voices were heard, awareness was raised, and pressure for change turned into action.

Since that time I have always known I wanted to be a part of positive change in the world. As an Olympic Athlete I have been given an opportunity to inspire and lead in Canada and around the world. Last year I joined Right to Play as an Ambassador and I am extremely excited about that relationship. Teaching the world’s children how to play and learn through sport is a simple, pure, and perfect initiative, one that I am proud to be a part of.

However, I felt there was more I could do. It was then that I was approached by Team Darfur to ask if I would be interested in joining their cause. Team Darfur is an international coalition of athletes committed to raising awareness about and bringing an end to the crisis in Darfur, Sudan. I am extremely excited to represent this movement. Team Darfur have affiliations with Right to Play so I spoke with Right to Play to get a better sense of this organization. Obviously, I was impressed with Team Darfur’s mission and the people running it.

I have been told Darfur is a political issue and therefore I’ve seen people back away from this cause. Often organizations and individuals back away from topics of a politically-motivated nature. However, when I thought about what a politically motivated topic was, I usually fell on issues where both sides made valid points. However, with regards to Darfur the issues are simple. You are either for or against genocide.

Like many people I had a vague understanding about the Darfur Crisis. From the news, the Oprah special, etc. I had a generalized picture of what was going on in Darfur. The ethnic based violence began in 2003, and it’s still happening. It is estimated that 400,000 people have been killed as a result of this conflict and 2.5 million have been pushed out of their homes. Sadly, causes come in and out of popularity with the public, my hope is too help keep Darfur in the public eye, giving this cause voice and strength.

The mantra of Team Darfur is to Learn, Fight, Lead, and Unite. Currently they are working towards influencing the Chinese government to put pressure on Sudan and evoke real and lasting change for Darfur. China purchases two thirds of Sudan’s oil and sells weapons to them. China has a lot of pull in Sudan, and hopefully in the spirit of Olympic Ideals China will use their weight to evoke lasting change in Darfur. If you are interested in supporting an Olympic Truce for Darfur sign this letter at:

http://teamdarfur.org/truce

I believe in the power of one, I believe in the power of voice, and I hope the addition of my voice will help this coalition of athletes move towards peace in Darfur.

1 comment:

Cindy Dubien said...

Hi Kelly; just saw you being mentioned on Global news once again. And once again I thought to myself, I wonder if this girl is any relation to the Vanderbeek's that I used to baby sit for long time ago. Then to may surprise the announcer mentioned that you were orginially born in small town northern Ontario. So, I jumped on the computer and looked up the story. And sure enough, you were from Kapuskasing. Your father Ron, as I remember was a chiropractor. Your lived on Maple and had a giant St. Bernard dog. I was thrilled to think that I actually babysat you and if I remember correctly you had a sister. Well, I will be watching you closely and cheering you on during the olympics. I am also currently in the process of moving to Cranbrook, British Columbia. Maybe I will make it over to Whistler, to cheer you on in person. All the best and no matter how it turns out, you make Kapuskasing proud Even if you don't remember me!! LOL Best of luck to you and your husband . Kindest regards Cindy Dubien