Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Year End - Bormio, Italy

Another World Cup season has come to a close and this year it ended in Bormio. It was a great week that, some days, felt more like a vacation than a race week! We enjoyed some wonderful days of sunshine but unfortunately that meant the course was unfit to race speed events and therefore the Men's and Women's final Downhill race was cancelled. One of those off days turned out to be extremely memorable after we decided to go to the Bagni di Vecchi Spa. It's an old natural spa built into the mountainside. I couldn't have dreamt of a better natural spa experience! It was amazing.


Luckily the warm weather put some moisture in the snow, and the night brought cold enough temperatures to set it up. The next day the men's and womens' Super G races went off. It was a fun course that I was excited to run. I was on that day but sadly I went too straight at one gate near the bottom that definitely cost me a top five and potentially a podium. Still, I finished with a 9th position which is a strong result and a reminder that I'm still very much in the mix in Super G.

Although exhausted and really looking forward to time at home, I'm sad to see the racing season end. I love racing and I look forward to next year. Looking ahead, I have many months of training camps and hours in the gym. All this time will be spent working towards the goal of being better and faster next year! I can't wait!

I'm now heading to Quebec City for the national Championships then I'll be in Whistler for a two week speed camp. I'll then have some time off before another training camp in Whistler at the end of April.

I finished this year ranked 5th in Downhill and with the most overall World Cup points I've collected yet, 445 (last year I collected 367). It was such a strong season for my whole team and the atmosphere is healthy and hardworking. Watching the crystal globes (they go the overall champions in each discipline) get handed out in Bormio was a great experience. It ignited that passion inside me that's kept me going all these years, I can't wait for next year!

Many Smiles,

Kelly

1 comment:

Steve said...

Hi Kelly:

Congratulations on an outstanding season!

We're very happy to hear that you'll be here during the Spring Series at Red Mountain and just want to let you know that if there's anything you'd particularly like to do while you're here, please tell us.

You might just want to enjoy a day off the snow, but if you do want to get out on the course (GS that day) or sneak away for a few free-ski runs with one of the local gals, we can certainly make the arrangements.

Have a great camp, and see you soon.

Steve Hilts
shilts@redmountainracers.com

Don Stevens
dstevens@redmountainracers.com

Teck Cominco Trail Operations