Friday, October 19, 2007

Broken Radius

Sadly, this message is going to be a bit short as I struggle to type with a new addition to my arm - a cast.

Yesterday, my day of Super G training with the girls started out great. In my first run back in speed I won the first run, and in this crew that's something to be proud of any day. My next run I touched the ground with my inside hand on one turn, unfortunately it dug into the soft snow. Although I never fell nor did I lose my pole, I did wrench my wrist badly. I knew right away I'd hurt it. After Dr. Mark Heard took a quick look at my wrist and Andree taped it up as well as she could, I continued with my training session. I did 3 more runs of Super G, and amazingly had some good skiing in there (but slow times as it took me an extra second just to get to the first gate since I couldn't push out of the gate!). The rest of the day I kept it taped up but continued with my regular work of dryland, video, etc.

Today was a day off for everyone. After realizing my wrist still hurt this morning Andree and I decided to get an x-ray done in Invermere. (For this Farnham camp we're staying in Panorama and taking the helicopter in & out of the glacier every day....ya, we're spoiled!) The hospital visit was fast and painless with the aid of a great South African doctor. The x-ray showed a fracture on my Radius' styloid process. So, a cast went on.

I'll continue to train the rest of this camp with some modifications to my pole and taping my hand to it. After two weeks in this cast I hope I'll be able to move into different casts that are more fitting for skiing and weight training. I should be out of the casts in about 4 weeks.

Now the big news, I will be all better and set to race in Lake Louise!

So finally, don't worry about me. I'll be just fine, simply getting some of these injuries out of the way. I'll be ready and excited to race as soon as the season kicks off.

I just read a great article on CBC's website about Farnham with a bit about your's truly in there! Here is the link if you'd like to check it out.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/column-scottrussell.html

Take care!

Till next time,

Kelly

No comments: